About the new site

Discussion in 'Forum Info' started by Erich H, Apr 30, 2016.

1. I want to give a big thanks to my friend Bill Waslo for setting up the original forum on DIY Sound Group and my friend Chris for his help in setting up this new forum and software. It took quite a bit of time, but most things have been transferred over from the old site. We're still tweaking the look and operation to make sure everything flows really nice, so if you see anything that needs changing or have suggestions on how to make it even better, please let me know.

I tried to narrow down the number of categories to start off with but if you can think of some other ones that should be added, we can do that. I was going to make a category specifically for finished and proven speaker designs, but wasn't sure if it was needed or not.

2. If anyone thinks we should have a drop down menu for the forums link above, let me know.

3. Looks like recent accounts/threads (like mine) didn't make it through. :(

Though the drop down menu for the forums may come in handy. Seems manageable for now. :)

4. When did you make the post? We moved everything on Thursday (I think), so maybe if it was around that day it might not have been copied over. I'm still moving threads around that are already here and putting them in their proper categories, but it's almost done.

5. Did you have any problem logging in to the new site? I saw that you created a new account, but you should be able to use your login from the past site.

6. Umm, I can't recall the exact day, but I think it may have been Friday, the 28th. Regarding the Volt 6 and Volt 10 coaxials.

Yeah, I did, it said my account didn't exist.

Also, I don't know if it's a bug, but when I went to add my avatar, after selecting a file and clicking okay, the box stuck around. No messages no errors. I thought it wasn't taking my image. Though when I refreshed the page, my avatar was there. Thought I'd mention in case.

7. I contacted some other members and asked them to log in to try it out and they didn't have any problems. I'll check into it. There's still a lot of work that will be done here, I just wanted to get it moving along.

8. I have a tab open with the old forum on it still, here's the exact time and date of my other post:
    Last post by Hoodcom
    in Volt-6 and Volt-10 LX qu...
    on April 28, 2016, 01:19:17 PM

Likely that I registered on the same day.

9. That would explain it then. If you registered and posted on the 28th, that was likely the day we moved things over and you might have signed up right when it was getting moved.

10. Teaches me to sign up late then. :p:D

11. I see we're LIVE! on the new site as I went through the DIYSoundgroup FORUM link. My login here was routine, no issues. I might have lost a Private Message I sent while making a purchase on the Classifieds page for the Overnight Sensations, but I already made my deal so losing it is not a problem.

12. The new forum is faster than before; however, I have a few questions / comments:
    1. Unless you're changing the domain of the DIYSG store, why a domain name change for the forum? Why not simply a sub-domain like http://forums.diysoundgroup.com I'm pretty sure that sub-domains are free from all if not most hosting companies. I use BlueHost and they are free.
    2. Are there plans to update the forum theme or provide more options to end users? Sorry, just not a fan of the current choices.
    3. Top left shows the XenForo logo instead of the DIYSG logo.
    4. From the forums, there is no method to get back to the store.
    I'm sure there are still changes in the works and I hope you don't take my feedback the wrong way (I dabble in webdesign), but as an example, this theme has a way to get back to the main website and is easier on the eyes as the white background isn't so stark white as the options you have.

http://xenfocus.com/demo/index.php

13. The reason for a whole new site was so that Denovo stuff can be at the same place as DIY Sound Group info. There are likely other things coming as well.

There is a forum theme uploaded. If you're seeing Xenforo in the top right corner I think it's because you selected the Default Xenforo theme from the option in the lower left corner of the page.

14. Lol, I'm sorry, but I loved the "new" post icon getting in the way of reading your post there.

"likely new other things coming as well". Attached a screenshot.

In seriousness though, you said you were updating the main site as well, correct?

Will our shopping history be retained? Also, are you okay with signature images on these forums? Small ones, of course.

Attached Files:

15. I see what you mean about the logo, so my humble opinion, I would make the Xenith theme as the default theme and remove access to the default Xenforo theme. You can upload other themes to give members options if you wish; however, I would just make sure that your logo is always be present no matter which theme a user selects.

So HiFi circuit will be the catch all forum for DIYSG, Denovo and whatever else comes along?

As an FYI, I made a post yesterday, uploaded images and posted them as thumbnails, but it appears that the default thumbnail size is rather large. You might want to make that option smaller... not sure if it's a theme of forum setting.

http://www.hificircuit.com/community/threads/um18-diy-sub-build.571/

Again, hope you don't mind the comments. :cool: