Custom Volt 8/10 enclosure?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by crankycowboy, Jul 19, 2016.

1. I currently have 3 1099s for my LCR speakers. I'm in the process of building my dedicated theater and am partially undecided on my surround and rear speaker choices (for 7.2<3.4.5>). My initial plan was just go to volts of some flavor as pairing those with the 1099s seems like a popular choice. Where it gets sticky....is I would like to put the surrounds in the columns I will have in the sides. The problem is my column design will only have about 6" from the inside of the column to the wall. I know as long as I maintain the recommended internal volume, that I could just cut a new front baffle, and and go taller opposed to as deep. But, the depth of the components plays a part (how deep are the woofers?), and then I don't know the impact of getting the port too close to the back wall. Based on my restrictions here, what speaker/solution would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

2. I made some measurements before I decided how I wanted to build my Volt10LX cabinets. I ended up with an internal depth about 5.5 inches, maybe even 5.25. That was cutting it pretty close, but still leaves room for some airflow out of the back of the tweeter.