My Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Build

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by MrBoat, Feb 26, 2017.

1. After auditioning the Fusion-12 Tempests for awhile full range, just to see how they performed in my particular space, I settled on the Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" driver. My room is really bass friendly. I read all of the reviews on the Tempests, plus what I could find online elsewhere and it seemed that for music, the camp was split on whether they needed a subwoofer or not. My use of the Tempests are music only. I didn't want to commit to a subwoofer being that where I have my system setup, space is sort of at a premium. Erich did strongly suggest the subwoofer from the start which I knew was right, but on a lot of music, the Tempests were really strong enough with the room gains I experience here. Then the typical prescription is to use larger subs but the Tempests were on such a fine line in that realm. I didn't want to have to choke larger drivers down.

About that time, the 12" Ultimax was on sale, as were the Behringer inuke3000dsp amps. Figured if the 12" was not enough, I would use it in my car instead and move up to the 15". Well, as it turns out, not only was the 12" enough, it matches with the Tempests in this space perfectly. You cannot find the subwoofer. Just sounds like the Tempests are a top notch full range speaker. I am now experimenting with the Tempests in pure direct mode, and learning some of the settings in the inuke, trying different filters etc.

I eyeballed the 2.0 cu. ft. sealed box at PE, as that was what was suggested for this driver, which has a similar freq to what the full range speakers I had in here before the Tempests operated around and it was plenty of bass. Again, music only. Here is the layout for the cross bracing. I just made sure it would clear the driver by plenty and even drivers with a deeper basket.
    [​IMG]

Here's what I arrived at for the bracing. I did eventually round these interior edges over just for the heck of it but here it is in the rough.
    [​IMG]

At any rate, it's a perfect dry fit to the box.
    [​IMG]

2. Box with brace installed and the primary baffle plus the hole for the binding post mount.

[​IMG]

The secondary baffle routed and tacked in place with some temp screws so I could flush the edges and round them over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Perfect flush fit for the ultimax.
    [​IMG]

3. I used 2 lbs polyfil but upholstered it in there with tulle fabric and staples. Trying to use adhesive with fuzzy stuff just seemed like something that was going to get more fur on me than the cabinets. This worked out nice and neat and it stays put regardless of which way the cabinets are turned.

[​IMG]

Sub sounds great. The cat is addicted to it and has become a nuisance with it, even when it's thumping hard.
    [​IMG]

Also made a grille with taller ring to match the tall rubber surround of the ultimax and so it matches the Tempests grilles. Still need to apply the veneer and paint, but just figure to try it for awhile. Actually, it's been hard to find time when I want to remove it from the system in which to finish it. I will commit to it next weekend.
    [​IMG]

I know it's fashionable to run subs with the drivers exposed, but grandkids and cats just make me nervous about leaving it like that. I keep imagining the cat using the driver for a scratching post, which would really suck after all this work.