Need help Selecting a Kit around $1000 2-channel

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by mikerodrig27, Mar 21, 2019.

1. I am looking to build a pair of speakers. I have been looking to build a kit for around $1000. My family and I like to play music in the morning. Rock, jazz, oldies, new music... etc... No real specific genre... When the wife is out of the house I play music and like clarity.

My living room is smaller but I like the look of large speakers and my wife said I can so I am going to!!! So I am looking for floor standers :)

I really like to have some punch with rock but I also like clarity for jazz, classical, and newer music. My wife likes to walk around a lot while music is playing but I don't think that she is too particular about directivity.

Here are some kits that I have found so far.

$1276 DIYSG Maximus 12
    $1100 +SH Statement II
    $983 + SH Anthology
    $855 + SH Finalist Tower
    $1100 Zaph Audio SV12.3
    $? DTQWT (I don't know much about them but there is seems to be a lot of builds with this kit. )

I know there are a ton of kits. Are there any that I should be looking into outside of these? I heard that Ryan Bouma (Tuxidocivic) has completed a 3 way kit that could be interesting. DIYSG had an update about putting it on their site.

I will be purchasing a kit in about 2 months so I am starting my research now. Thanks!

2. I don't have experience with the SH or Zaph kits, though Meniscus has been around a long time, and I used to get parts from them. High end components in those, with an audiophile bent. DIYSG kits are fantastic, IMO, and their flat packs help those without shop space or tools. The Max12 should punch very well. I am building Titans right now, and the Max12 was a close second choice for me. You could also consider something like their HTMs, with MBMs as their stands.

Your taste is key here, as well. The Max12 will likely sound very different than something with a RAAL tweeter. I'm coming from VMPS Ribbons myself, so the Titans will be a shift. I've been very pleased with the Fusion 6 sound, though, so trust Matt's voicing and Erich's input on that.

mikerodrig27 likes this.
  3. great. Are you using them for HT use or music? Let me know how you like those titans. How do you like the volt 6 vs the ribbons?

4. Mixed system. I'm an old audio guy, but movies are a big thing now. I like big orchestral stuff, so couldn't go too small myself. The Fusion 6 isn't available anymore, though it was nice while it lasted. I built 2 sets. I've also built Volt 10s and they are great too, though need something on the bottom end for full range use. Not bad without, but that's their design goal. I've had my ribbons for a long time, but they lack punch, hence the Titans.

5. The titans have some pretty impressive specs. 2000 watts at 99db could waken the dead.... Pretty cool.