SEOS Soundstage Quality

Discussion in 'Speaker Components' started by blackcat54, Jun 22, 2014.

1. OK......

I get that the SEOS line of speakers are efficient, play loud and clean with minimal amplifier needs.

What is the quality of the soundstage they project in terms of width and depth?

Do they have the ability to project a delicate deep 3-D soundstage?

Years ago I remember hearing a set of B&W 801 Matrix speakers that created a beautiful deep multi layered 3-D soundstage that was impressive.

I value & crave re-creating that elusive sense of 3-D space memory from my past!

Can the SEOS line of speakers do it?

2. I'll reply because no one else has.

I read a LOT of SEOS discussions. No one has ever talked about "3D sound" so I don't know, and if anybody else knows, they've never talked about it before.

Have you asked your question on the avs.com discussion board? You can start your own topic, or ask inside the "all things SEOS" thread which is called the "Hey Guys we need some rallying here" or simply "Hey guys" thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1291022-hey-guys-we-need-little-rallying-here.html

Be sure to read from the END of the thread. It has more than 10 thousand posts!

3. What is a "delicate deep 3-D soundstage"?

4. What is a "delicate deep 3-D soundstage"?

[SIZE=medium]Musical instruments are recreated with a sense of front to back depth. For example, an orchestra is recreated with the instruments placed in rows so when listening to them you get a strong illusion of depth and can sense their placement in space front to back and left to right.[/SIZE]

5. I think you'll find that this sort of psychoacoustic effect is based on reflected sound and reflection timing and intensity. Good controlled-directivity designs should all give you what you're looking for, if set up properly.

6. Considering the impression made on you by the B&W's, I'd recommend that you seek out a pair & buy them .

:)

7. "Considering the impression made on you by the B&W's, I'd recommend that you seek out a pair & buy them ."

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to go for the DIY route.

Now.....back to the original question.

Do the SEOS speaker systems do well at reproducing a sound stage with with a sense of front to back depth?

8. I like "wvu80's" suggestion ( ask your question to the users where they congregate the most ) .

Unfortunately ( for many reasons ), this forum has turned into a back-water when it comes to timely , relevant info gathering .

9. Looking at the available polars ( here & at 18Sound ) I'd wager that ( if you truly mean DIY ) you would have a very good chance of extracting what you want ( 3D Imaging ) by using the larger Denovo waveguides ( EOS not the SEOS ) turned 90deg sideways ( sitting above an applicably sized woofer ) .

10. My SEOS24/BMS coax has soundstage width and depth. No kits are available for such setups.

11. Now that 3-D has been defined, I know exactly what you are asking. My answer would probably have to be "I don't know." The reason being, is I don't know if I've heard a symphonic recording capable of producing that "3-d" sound.

When I hear a symphonic band live, I don't hear a "3-D sound." I hear a sound stage from left to right. The flutes are right up front, the clarinets to stage left. Towards the left center and back in the semi-circle are trumpets, right center rear are baritones and tubas. Stage right is trombones, to the rear is the percussion. You just don't hear front to back sound, as a sound from the rear simply sounds a little further away, while front sounds are more articulate.

I WILL say my SEOS speakers can produce an amazing sound stage with imaging. If you shut your eyes, you can't hear where the speakers are. All you hear is where the instruments are, and the sound is more up/down, and left/right. I can hear sound OUTSIDE of where the speakers are physically placed, and they place voices VERY clearly in the center, although there is no speaker there.

My speakers are the SEOS based Fusion 10 Pure. They sound best with a sub.

12. I owned a set of B&W 800D and have listened to many Hi-end systems. $20K up to $100k. If your asking can a speaker costing less than $1000 compete with a $20k speaker in terms of critical sound reproduction. I will say no. However I don't think any speaker is worth or cost $20k. They ALL us parts you can buy yourself online from the same companies. Krell uses Seas drivers in their $60k Modulari speaker. Sonus Faber does the same thing. B&W is no different. If your room acoustics and speaker are setup properly for the waveguide speaker than Yes, you can get very close. IF your ears are used to the B&W tweeter then you won't hear the sound you want. Simply due to your ears being acclimated to a dome tweeter and not a CD. Same happens when people listen to Klipsch or Maggies or Martin Logan. They just don't reproduce the sound your "used" to hearing. However, think of how much money you will save and how many speakers you could build for less than $5k and still be very happy. I love my Waveguides for Home Theater. My B&W cant even keep up.. Sad....