DCX2496 or MiniDSP as an active crossover

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Mjaudio, Aug 2, 2012.

1. I just picked up a DCX2496 to try out with my subs and it is pretty slick. This is not my first experience with the DCX2496, one came with the Emerald Physics CS2 I used to have and those speakers were really nice.

Now is there any downside besides having 2 amps channels for each SEOS 2-way over doing a passive crossover? The DCX2496 has 6 outputs so I can use it for 3 SEOS in a 2-way configuration. I would just need 6 channels of amplification.

I really just have no idea of how to make a passive crossover so admit to be intimidated by that process.

2. No downside other than amps, cost, and setup. I'd personally take the minidsp. And you'll need a design with active settings, unless you plan to roll your own.

3. if you're comfortable with measuring with something like a ...ahem... omnimic then setting up with minidsp is really easy. Play each driver alone, adjust for the shape and rolloff, play them together then and adjust the delay. No design, just twiddle it in real-time.

4. I want to try out a MiniDSP but want to wait until they are available to order from a US seller, had a bad experience ordering one that came directly from China so not going that route again.

5. PE is supposed to have them soon, I'm told.

6. That is what I am hoping for.

I actually have a MiniDSP that just doesn't work but it is not worth the trouble trying to ship it back. Hopefully the MiniDSP's PE carries are packaged better as well with the PS included and maybe a nicer case with XLR's already mounted so we don't have to mess with these phoenix connectors. At least if I have problems PE is always good to deal with.

7. I like the Phoenix connectors, personally. For one thing, many "pro" multichannel amps (e.g. ElectroVoice CPS 8.5, Crown CT8150) have Phoenix inputs. Second, for unbalanced connections, it's trivially easy to make Phoenix-to-RCA-female adapters. XLR-RCA adapters are actually harder, because they require soldering.

8. The new Behringer amps with internal DSP look very interesting to me as this combines two pieces into one saving space and money. Has anyone any experience with them?

9. Hi Earl,

I believe Hypex (in Netherlands) also has a plate amp with two amplifiers plus dsp. Don't know the price, though (and haven't used it).

10. Hi Earl,
    My tapped horn buddy Mike (you met him at Tom's) has experience with some of them -the 1k and 3k I believe, and there are some measurements online. E-mail me offline, and we'll get Mike to answer any questions he can answer. From my recollection, if you're not looking for full output below 20hz, they are acceptable. They don't meet rated MFR output levels broadband.
    Deon

11. The problem with the INUKEs is that they sound like vacuum cleaners.

Not an issue if you can put the amps in a different room, but their fans are very loud.

12. I'm using the Inuke 1000dsp with two mfw-15 sealed subs, the fan is audible during very low passages, but I can tolerate it until I can house the amp elsewhere.
    Complete noob question, I'd like to try and use the amp to test my drivers in a seos 2-way. As long as I've got that gain at zero, volume turned down, and high pass filter, would I be ok? AE TD12M, BMS-4550, SEOS-12. Just don't do it or are they other precautions I should take? Thanks.

13. I'd test the compression driver with a dc block in series (150uF or so NP) and no louder than you need to... definitely not loud until it has a crossover feeding it.

14. 150uF NP capacitor: Check. Thank you kindly, sir.

15. Are you sure it's the miniDSP itself that doesn't work?

I have a miniDSP that stopped working and couldn't be powered off the USB from my laptop. The most obvious indication was that the little blue LED wasn't functioning the way it used to.

I finally went and picked up a new power supply and as long as the new power supply is in, it will both sync with my laptop via USB and operate as designed. My suspicion is that your power supply doesn't work. Shell out the 20 bucks for a Meanwell GS18A12-P1J.

Anyways as far as this thread is concerned, I'm not sure if I want to go active or not either, although I do have the MiniDSP. I think active is a good way to compare different transfer functions, but the final speaker should be passive as I think it's overall more practical.