Titan Speaker Kits

Discussion in 'Home Theater Speaker Kit Information' started by Matt Grant, Jan 18, 2017.

1. I picked up 3 yesterday, so they might be sold out.

2. Erich posted about that over at AVS:

"I didn't want to put too many in stock for the first time because I'm still experimenting a bit with how to package these up. Plus I don't have a big supply of the compression drivers. I ordered more of the compression drivers about 5-6 months ago but they aren't here yet. 2 weeks ago I was told they would be in the US on March 23rd but got an email a couple days ago saying it was pushed back to the first week of April. So I don't want to over promise anything right now."

So there should be more available soon.

Wags likes this.
  3. Ahh that's good news! Thanks for the update.

Now having read that AVS forum I'm starting to second guess the 818s especially if the Vortex 15s come in significantly cheaper. I love the titan design but the Vortex has a higher WAF and if I'm only giving them 300-400 watts a piece what am I really missing? It may come down to whichever gets listed first!

4. Matt, question for you. I was looking at specs on the midrange and it looks like the freq response is 800 to 5,000Hz but the crossover on the Titans is at 350hz. Is that ok or does parts express have the specs on the TF0818MR wrong?

5. Those specs are provided by Celestion and I'm not sure how they calculated that frequency range for this driver but it's certainly not the range you can get out of driver.

The midrange waveguide used in the Titan-818 does add some useful extension and output and I find it has no trouble playing down to 350hz and keeping up with the woofer and compression driver.

Steve Decker likes this.
  6. Hey Guys, I stabbed my 15” driver during final assembly. If I wanted to match the other two (and I do) can I just get the $250 Eminence Kappalite driver from Parts Express or is there a custom driver at play here?

Attached Files:

7. That may be fixable with some Goop adhesive, should just need a thin layer to hold the surround together.

Otherwise you may be able to get a replacement driver from Erich.

8. Thanks Matt. I’ll try the Goop while I wait for Erich to get back to me.

9. Do you need multiple subs with the Titan 818LX or will one with help round out the deep end. I'm just going wait for the Titans and looking to move forward with my sub/subs now. Going with GSG Audio. If i need multiple then I will go with 21" Full Marty's and if one would do then i will go with one Devastator.

10. Multiple subs would be best. If you're getting the Titans you could get your subwoofers/flat packs from the same place. :)

11. Are you planning on coming out with a 21" flat pack?

12. They've been done for a while, I just haven't posted them on the site yet.

13. Is the VBSS 18 used for the Titan 818LX?

14. #114 Skoonky, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Would it be possible to shrink that woofer to a 10"/(2) 8" and make it a matching surround for a Titan? What is the minimum depth of the waveguide assembly with the compression and midrange attached?

Could you get away with running the 8" lower and remove the woofer all together for a surround?

15. One of the bass enclosure options for the 818LX is a VBSS style enclosure but the designs do not use the same woofer.

The midrange driver is sealed back so it can't play much lower then what it's currently crossed at. The waveguide isn't designed to to be mounted in a shared airspace with a woofer so you can't use a normal 8" driver on it and run it as a 2-way for the same reasons. Using a pair or four smaller woofers with these waveguides has been discussed before but nothing has gone past just talk.

I'll double check the depth measurement.

16. I was thinking of using an additional 8" in a small enclosure, not replacing the original 8" midrange still keeping it a 3-way design. Maybe a 10" in a shallow depth sealed enclosure with the 2-way assembly attached.

17. Were the Titan's really in stock this weekend? I was on vacation:(

18. I see they were in stock again. I see add to cart, but i can't buy more than one.

19. Hi Gents, Matt and Erich is the née Titan 18 a variation if you will of the Sigma 18a-2? I’m looking at that driver for a woofer in a design of my own also using a 350hz XO to the mids and a 40-55hz HP XO on the woofer (so a +/- 3db response 50-350Hz) and a stiffer suspension combined with a relatively lighter Mms to allow for accuracy and detail up to 350hz.

In your testing was the Sigma 18a-2 found to be a good candidate for this role and passband?

Also the horizontal directivity coverage pattern below 500hz is pretty much omni correct for that passband for a regular vented configuration?

Thanks much.

20. Hi All, I’m back again.
    My six Volt10s are built and my four Volt8s are in the ceiling. I removed 2 of the 10s from the bed layer for now since I only have 11ch processing power out of my Marantz SR7012.
    Now, having said that, I have a question about how I should configure this setup to be a 7.4.4 with 9 channels powered out of the Marantz.
    I have an iNuke 6000 collecting dust and a couple Yamaha XM6150s in the closet next to it.
    Should I run the iNuke to the LR Titians? If so do I run the HPF or control the crossover in the Marantz?
    Should I run the surrounds or atmos off of the Yamaha?
    I can bridge the XM6150 to get 300wpc and run the LR Titans that way, but the Behringer has more ass, is lighter, and takes up less room in my cabinet.
    To be clear, everything gets plenty loud in here off of AVR power… but I’m not well versed in setting up the pre-amp stuff and not sure which direction to take.

Thanks in advance!

21. You could use the inuke for the titans just disable any filters on the inuke and let it run fullrange as the crossover/processing is handled by the Marantz.

I'd leave the surrounds/atmos on the Marantz if it can power all those channels.

22. Would building a wider shallow LF box change the sound? Looking to possibly build a 26" H X 30" W X 11" D box. Still roughly 5 cubic feet.

23. Should not pose too much of an issue.

24. #124 SteveOO, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    Does anyone have any advice for a set of woofer grills for the 818's? I built mine a few months ago, but am terrified every time the dog and cat join for a movie.

25. You can build a simple wooden frame, paint it black and wrap it in window screen material. This would give you some basic protection for the driver (more then just fabric).

Concept on a old bass bin I had built years ago:
    DSC_2611-sm.jpg

MDuyck1292 likes this.