Here's "Daniel", a good inexpensive SEOS project

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by BillWaslo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. If not, let me know and I'll work up a BSC mod for the crossover.

2. dcgold / bwaslo,

Good posts and updates on Daniel - very encouraging!
    I have the larger box for the Big Malcom (4-NS6 drivers) almost finished. Once I have my shipment from Erich I should have additional results to follow...

3. Bill-

Are the two NS6's too wide to use the 19" seos front baffle?

4. 2 will fit on 13 inches of width.

5. Is that with the space between them on the Daniel?

6. I have mine mounted with approximately 1/4 " between the drivers. The two together use 13 " of baffle width.

7. Thanks. I think I may building these soon. I have several on the way from Madi.

8. I can get the baffles cut for these this weekend if there's a demand. The main thing I would need is the height of the baffle. The width will be the typical 14.25".

9. For the "Big Malcolm"; I am placing 4 NS6s below the SEOS12.
    Mine will will be 13.5" tall. IMO - this should be the absolute minimum baffle height.

HOWEVER; if you are going to go with round-overs or are thinking of adding a grill in front you will need more height..

10. That would be awesome. I'd like to see the bottom extend equal distance from the woofers as the waveguide on top. If you decide to order them, I'll take at least 5 and probably 4 more in the near future.

I'm building a home gym, originally designed for theater, for my wife. I figured I would use my old B&K 305 and 4 of the Daniel's. Probably put my Klipsch RB-75 system on sale.

11. I still haven't gotten a chance to move forward with my speaker project, but I have all the drivers and baffles sitting around. Bought the stuff MONTHS ago, (August, maybe?), but it has been on hold until I'm able to swing the purchase of a mic so that I can design the crossover network in PCD with maximum accuracy.

My LCRs will consist of a SEOS-12, DNA-350, and 4 NS6's. Sealed enclosures, about 2ft^3 (with a 22"x14.5" baffle) with the woofers mounted in a 2x2 pattern below the waveguide (except the center channel, it'll be inverted, with it upside-down compared to the left & right, all 3 waveguides will be within 18" of each other vertically). Going to be a 2.5-way with a crossover point most likely in the 1.2kHz region with the lower 2 woofers supplying BSC (not sure what frequency I'll be using there). The woofers are going to be rear-mounted with a roundover to hide the ugly gaskets AND so they mounting flanges can be nearly touching each other to absolutely minimize C-C distance. I'm probably going to high-pass them at 80Hz, the major issue with the NS6s, according to the software, is going to to be low-frequency over-excursion.

Rear speakers are going to be a mini-eliptical with either 1 or 2 NS6's (I have enough woofers to use 2 drivers per side, just don't know how well it'll work out) in either a 2-way or 2.5-way.

I'll make sure to document progress, but I'm not going to be able to afford a test mic until after the first of the year, and designing the crossover to be as optimal as possible is extremely important to me.

One of my design goals is high-effeciency, I don't have a lot of amplifier power so I want to maximize sensitivity. I've even tossed around the idea of a 2-way, 4-woofer design in a MTM configuration with a pair of woofers above and below the horn, but I always convince myself that it won't work nearly as well as the 2.5-way.

-Jason

12. MTM won't work very well. You have to consider the vertical distance between the two pairs of woofers -- that will become the effective "CTC" just below crossover, and will give a very narrow vertical lobe there. (Found this out by trying this a few years back).

13. This is exactly the design I want to build for my center due to space constraints. I would like to maybe use a little different drivers though, probably ported as I can go pretty big on the enclosure size. I will be building the Zephyr's for my L-R. Already have the 360's. Would either of these be a good choice http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-372 or these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-374

TIA
    Richard

14. Bwaslo,

Is there anything to be gained by switching the 50mF capacitor part 027-354 (100V) with 027-443 (250V)? I noticed the other two capacitors are rated at 250V and the 50mF is only 100V. The price for this single capacitor jumps from a buck to 13 something when going from 100V to 250V. I don't mind doing it if there will be an audible gain.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Joel

15. No, either cap is rated way higher in voltage than needed. There might be an advantage from using a film cap rather than an NP electrolytic, though pretty minimal for what that cap does.

16. Sorry for the noob question but I was just wanting to get some clarification on the impedance that the amp would see with the Big Mal speaker using 4 x NS6 and the CD?

I would be using a Denon AVR with 100 watts for the center channel. They advise not operating speakers with less than 6 ohms impedance.

17. A Big Mal will be around 4 ohms in the upper bass/ lower mid. Its sensitivity will be high though and amplifiers are limited in voltage and current they can deliver and the power they can dissipate before overheating , not really in the speaker load impedance. So if you drove a 4 ohms load hard the amp might overheat, but the high sensitivity makes it less likely you'd need to drive it hard. So you might be ok (I'd do it myself, but make your own call).

18. I am currently driving 4 ohm speakers (Behinger 2031P) with my Denon 3808ci with no issues. It gets hot when run hard but it has not shut down yet.
    Denon, Onkyo and Harmon Kardon receivers traditionally can drive 4 ohm speakers.

19. Bill can the Daniel be done with two NS6's and an EOS8 with Denovo 350 as surrounds? I know that it's someone's done a single NS6, but I figured you could get a little more output with 2 and the EOS8 would be better for surround duty?

20. Why would the Eos be better for surrounds?
    But, sure it could be done, but would likely need a different crossover if all is to be as good as it can.

Bill

21. I don't know... I just read some posts suggestion that the dispersion would be wider and higher and my work well, but that's just what I gathered. Perhaps I misread.

22. Hey guys,

Well, I'm finally getting around to getting my project put together... I got all the box pieces cut out, and got the baffles cut and routed to fit the NS6s... Here's what the baffles look like, 14.5"x22", I bought them from Erich so I could flush mount the horn, and he cut them to size for me:

[​IMG]

I would have put the another 2 woofers in for the photo, but that pair are just extras, the ones I'll actually be using are still in their plastic and I didn't want to get sawdust all over them... I rear-mounted them to hide (and utilize!) that ugly gasket on the NS6. It has a 3/8" roundover around the hole, and I used a rabbet bit to get the speakers mounted further into the baffle, essentially right where the roundover begins. The boxes are about 2.2ft^3 sealed. The edges will also have a roundover, but I don't want to do that until I test fit them on the box.

My issue is, I never did get around to buying a measurement mic... And, in reality, I don't really have an amplifier to power the speakers during testing, or an area that is quiet without having a ton of reflective hard surfaces (outside won't work). I was wondering, does anyone have a .frd and .zma file for the Denovos and a NS6 that were recorded under the same conditions, or could advise me of what modifications the Daniel's crossover would require to add a second pair of NS6's running in .5 configuration? I'd like to get the crossovers figured out, as I'd like to get them finished up over the next week or so.

23. Thanks Bill, that's what I'll do, use the Big Mal xover. Will my rear-mounting of the woofers have much effect compared to front mounting in regards to the crossover? What cutoff frequencies are created with the Big Mal's crossover? In all my playing around with PCD, I've never implemented a capacitor in the fashion the Big Mal uses. Am I understanding this crossover right, that the capacitor will be across the bottom woofers, and in series with the middle set?

Also, I've decided to utilize a single NS6 and a mini-elliptical for my surround speakers. Is the crossover shown on the DIYSG page for the mini-elliptical very dependent on the specified ported box for curve shaping, or would it work fine in a much smaller (about 0.4ft^3 max, my surrounds can't be super big...) sealed enclosure?

I was looking forward to designing the crossover networks myself, but it's just not feasible to set up a testing rig. Sorta disappointed, but I have to be realistic; I don't have an amp to use for testing, I don't have an area to complete testing that wouldn't be prone to major reflections.