SEOS12 upgrades for my HT - including "BUC"

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by cuzed2, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Greetings to All - and a Happy Thanksgiving!
    I'm fairly new here - and like the title says; I am joining the SEOS DIY club to upgrade my HT.
    I am currently running Klipsch all around. What I will be replacing is as follows:

1) First project will be named "BUC" (Big Ugly Center - my nickname), actually a "big Mal" using 4 Auru NS6s.
    I have a fixed front screen, and needed a lower profile box to go under my screen. If all goes well; this will replace a Klipsch RC7 that is buried in my overhead soffit (and angled down)

2) Replacing L/R Klipsch RF35's with; SEOS 12 / Delta-light 2512 in sealed boxes.

I have my Aurus, Deltalight 2512s, and the crossover parts for BUC all ready to go.
    My SEOS12's and 350/360 drivers are on order. I will likely go with one of Erich's flat-pack kits for the L/R fronts.

First task will be to build the enclosure for BUC (maybe begin this weekend)?
    I will apologize in advance for any "newbie-nonsensical" questions that I might ask during this adventure :)

2. Good luck with the builds!

3. Good luck!

4. Thanks Guys!

Here's a quick sketch of what I am thinking. In this drawing, probably taller than it has to be.
    However; BUC is kind of "homely", therefore he will get face grill (need a border for a grill frame.

Attached Files:

5. Ok Gang - I've made some decent progress. I will try and post some photos next (I have had mixed luck getting my photos from photo-bucket to display here)

6. OK here is where I am so far. The attached was taken with a borrowed waveguide. I believe I have a nice care package coming from Eric (with waveguides, drivers, flatpacks for my mains, AND a custom baffle for "Big Mal" :)

As Erich pointed out - I could have made this box about a 1/2'' taller. However, with bit of care this should work fine.

Attached Files:

7. And with bracing and the back-panel retaining flange glued in (and brad-nailed)

Attached Files:

8. Bear with me a bit here >> First; Imagine the 12 days of Christmas playing in the background:

Today; Santa visited me - he was dressed just like a FEDEX guy.
    And lo and behold what did I find in my boxes:

3 - 350 drivers
    3 - SEOS12s
    And a big-bad, extremely well packed & BEAUTIFULLY machined face for Big Mal, (aka "BUC")

Erich - THANK YOU!!
    Can't wait to get home tonight and play with my new "toys"

9. :D

Now it shouldn't take you long to put that together. Hurry up. You're grounded from the forums until you're ready to post pics and listening impressions ;)

10. Pictures are easy - trust me I will be taking pictures, maybe even some fine trimming and gluing tonight?
    Will a few pictures allow a temporary lift of my grounding (perhaps "house arrest"), until I can get some soldering done? :)

11. Can we see the end result pictures, measurements, and how this speaker turned out for you here?

12. eleyron,
    Thanks for stopping by and checking in, and the nudge. :)
    Seems this website and my photos don't play well together (I probably need to re-size them to a smaller file size). I'll try resizing and posting again.

However; I have also been keeping my build thread reasonably current over on the AVS DIY site; it's led "DIY SEOS for HT Upgrade", (posts 63 thru 87 are my latest updates)

Big Mal is essentially finished (temporarily in black latex paint), as soon as my Deltalights are finished; I will be duratexing all 3 of the boxes. My listening impressions are very favorable. I have yet to make some real measurements, this is still on my list; just need to find the time, and a quiet house to pull it off.
    I'll be using REW with one of the new USB mics.

13. So this is Big Mal, as a function of my resizing effort:

Attached Files:

14. So I just finished my delta-light build, and am VERY pleased!
    Big Thanks to Erich, bwaslo, and everyone here!

Attached Files: