Can a SEOS waveguide work in a coaxial speaker?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by SpirosZ, Mar 19, 2013.

1. I don't know how much it will disturb the woofer's response but if that was possible it could solve some problems for center channel use.
    I have seen a few 12" coaxials with a horn in the midle so I know it has being done before.
    Any thoughts?

I would love to see a center channel speaker based on the Eminence10CX with a Denovo CD and a SEOS waveguide designed for that purpose.

2. I don't think this would work. The SEOS would cover to much of the woofer. It would look pretty bad too!

3 way is the best way to do a center channel imo.

3. I was hoping that maybe a SEOS6 or a SEOS8 trimmed down to it's minimum size could work in a 10" woofer and give better results than just the driver cone as a waveguide.

Center channel has being the conflict in most of the speaker designs I am looking at.
    I like the wide center spot of the SEOS designs but these seem to work best in two way speakers.

I don't want my center channel to be more than 30cm tall but I don't mind if it is up to 120cm wide and I am looking for alternatives but they will have to integrate well with the L/R speakers and I haven't found a way to do that yet.
    Many possible designs have cross my mind but most of them seem to have their own problems.

So far I have come to the conclusion that if the center channel is not identical to the L/R, you are better off with phantom center.

4. A large waveguide will determine most of the character of the speaker, using the same one for L,R and C should work pretty well.

5. Thanks for the answer Bill,
    If that's the case I have a couple designs in mind that could possibly work.
    Do you need to use the same SEOS waveguide across all three speakers? Will a SEOS10 for the center match sonically with a pair of SEOS12 on the L/R assume the same driver and crossover frequency is used?
    A three way center with a SEOS10, two 5"mids under the waveguide and one 10"woofer on one side (or one on each side) should not be more than 12" tall and 35" wide.
    Or a 3way center with a SEOS6 or SEOS8, a single 6"mid and again one or two 10" on the sides.

If I have to use the SEOS12 though, it will be too hard not to exceed the 12" height with a 3way. (I want to use a SEOS12 design with a 12"woofer for L/R)

6. I've got the same game plan. Woofers are awaiting a SEOS10 for a cab to go in between with a couple of 5" mids

[​IMG]

Maxmercy I believe posted this idea some time ago and it's stuck with me ever since. I think it would work well. It won't be a perfect sonic match to the seos 12, but will get your really close. Why not just build the same 3-way vertically for your L&R. That's what I'm planning with the above idea. I'm gonna try WTMW and TMWW. Maybe even 3.5 ways.

What 10" woofer did you have in mind. The ones I'm using are the Eminence Delta 10B (16ohms). I've used teh Delta10a, but only ever sealed. This time ported.

7. I had the excact drivers in mind, Eminence delta 10a or b if I use 2. For mains I think about the Eminence Delta 12LFA on a large 165lt BR or larger tower with a SEOS12/DNA-360 or 350.

8. That should work really well. Actually, Erich has been talking about something similar...

9. Neat, I like the corner ports.

Oh and bwhahaha ;D
    [​IMG]

10. O.K. That looks really funny ;D ;D

11. New design MTG? Can't wait :eek:

12. I'm glad you are gonna make this design a reality!!

JSS