OS Build

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by Club Chapin, May 31, 2013.

1. Finished my OS. Sound great for my first build.

Sorry I don't have good pics along the way.

Finish isn't great, ok. It is stained, then rubbed with 4 or 5 coats of seafin teak oil.

Attached Files:

• OS0.jpg
      OS0.jpg
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
    • OS1.jpg
      OS1.jpg
      File size:
      57.5 KB
      Views:
    • OS3.jpg
      OS3.jpg
      File size:
      40.1 KB
      Views:
  2. More pics.

Winged the damping, using loose acoutistuff behind the woofer. I couldn't find a spec for quantity or type of damping material. I ended up using the aucoutastuff rec. for this volume of cabinet.

On the port tubes, I ended up cementing them with ABS cement I had on hand. It worked really well. It is permanent, no undoing it.

Also, the port tubes were too large to fit through the hole on the back. A little sanding resolved this.

The binding posts simply would not "tap" into the holes, even with a significant amount of "tapping" with my rubber mallet, with enough force to bend one. I then discovered that a nut on the inside easily sat them in the cabinet.

Attached Files:

• OS5.jpg
      OS5.jpg
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
    • OS6.jpg
      OS6.jpg
      File size:
      58.3 KB
      Views:
    • OS7.jpg
      OS7.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
  3. A pic of the cabinet being assembled.

One tip that a woodworking buddy gave me that I found really useful: using a cheap painbrush to apply a thin and even coat of wood glue (Titebond).

Attached Files:

• OS8.jpg
      OS8.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Ordered these in early December. Completed over the course of probably 5 days sessions between now and then (plus 5 days of finishing, with a day between each coat). Under 6 months. Not too bad for me. I'm sure they could be done in a weekend, not including finishing (pesky drying time).

5. I think they look great, good job!