SEOS baffle wall build

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by strader, Jun 19, 2013.

1. I recently built a set of the SEOS Zehpyr speakers for installation in a baffle wall. The cabs are sealed and only 6.5" deep in order to limit the depth of the wall. Here are some current build pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very cool. Please post impressions and measurements if you have the gear!

3. Cool. Why so high though?

4. I agree, the waveguides should be about ear level.

5. I'll post some measurements once I get my measurement rig and equipment rack moved into place. I took some quick measurements of them freestanding indoors. Not outdoor ground plane measurements or anything, but should give an idea what difference having them mounted in a baffle wall makes. Freestanding they need some 7+ db of boost at 80hz with the sealed cabinets to play flat - hoping the baffle wall will make up some of that.
    Regarding height, they look too high to me too! ;D I followed the Procella baffle wall guide (Procella_System_Design_&_Installation_v2.5_Web.pdf) which recommends bottom edge of the waveguide at 5/8 (.625) of screen height. Mine are at about .65 of screen height so a bit too high for that standard, and I would swag about 10degrees below axis at my front row. Second row is about a foot higher.

6. First layer of OSB on:
    [​IMG]

Second layer of MDF and green glue...
    [​IMG]

Covered with duct liner (1" Sonic XP) and ready to hang screen:
    [​IMG]

7. WOW!! 8)

That looks awesome. I'm sure it will sound amazing as well !!

I really like the lighting treatment in the ceiling. The whole room looks like a top rate installation. Good job!

Mike

8. WOW! Really nice job! Attaboy :D

9. Thanks guys!
    I got the screen up this week. It's a 142 16:9 made of Seymour XD fabric. Projector won't be here for another month, which gives me some time to build the surround speakers.
    [​IMG]

Screen lights on:
    [​IMG]

10. Well I just stumbled into this thread and was wondering if there is a follow up. How's it sound being recessed into the wall. How is everything in general?

11. I forgot all about this thread. I've been really happy with the performance of the speakers with both movies and music. I've built a modified version of the Alchemy speakers in a 6" deep sealed cabinet for my surrounds. Only the side surrounds are up, and will add widths and rears.
    These are far from professional measurements but below are some in-room semi near field measurements of the sealed zephyr speaker free standing (green) and baffle wall mounted.

[​IMG]