"Mods" to SEOS Design

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by alexwgoody, Jan 20, 2014.

1. I am patiently waiting for my SEOS 15s and am wondering if anyone has modified them with positive results? JMLC round over? Some other flare? More info on foam plugs (I couldn't find many specific impressions here on diyaudio or AVSforum). Smoothing the throat?

I'll certainly try some of these and will post measurements when I can. FWIW I'll be using a de-250.

2. Foam plugs aren't often discussed with the SEOS crowd thus far but I highly recommend giving it a try.

JMLC mouth roundover makes more sense if you are not baffle mounting, otherwise just give your cabinet a large round over on the edges (see Gedlee speakers).

Smoothly the throat transition. This is another detail not often discussed but was often discussed by Geddes. The idea is to use modeling clay/putty, remove the bug screen on the CD and then take the clay to form a perfect transition from the inner portion of the CD throat to the edge of the waveguide by filling in the fingernail thickness gap.

3. I am aware of the concepts and Gedde's research (which prompted the questions), and have not decided as to how I will mount it. It sounds like no one has posted their results yet, or maybe no one has tried any kind of modifications yet - what a shame. I'll report back when/if I get a chance to try some of these when my plastic 15s come.

Any guidance on other possibly worthwhile mods?

I'm reading into modifying the back of the DE250 with more foam and/or creating a larger plastic backing. I do not have much experience with compression drivers, so I might buy something cheap that I wouldn't have a problem with accidentally screwing up.

4. Any pictures of these moss would be great. I'm a very visual person.

I am about to start my own thread on the tempests I am building but it won't be anything typo special. That said i line to tweak and fiddle so any small things that can be done....intrigue me.

I've got done modeling clay coming that will dry with just air contact so i.ll be adding about a pound to the back of each waveguide to ensure they are "dead" unless this is a bad idea. My cabinets are 3/4" maple laminated ply so these have living room potenyial down the road.

Ericj had been a pleasure to deal with and goes way beyond for support considering he's not running a real business (as in for profit).

5. I do not think that weighing down the waveguide makes a difference. I did some minor tests, and my measurements didn't show anything - I also subjectively couldn't hear a difference. I've been way too busy to try anything else, unfortunately.

6. My tests concluded the same, don't bother.