Flatter wall mounted Fusion-6 and Fusion 6 MTM ?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by MrTeatime, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Hi guys, I'm new here.
    I'm 34 and lives in France.

I'm considering changing my HT speakers which are right now some small wall mounted Klipsh speakers but used to Jamo THX One Speakers, also wall mounted.
    My speakers need to be behind my acoustically transparent projection screen so they need to be rather flat and wall mounted.
    I'm considering going the DIY way and those Fusion 6 and Fusion 6 MTM kits seem reeaaaaally tempting.
    I saw they sell flat cut kits but those flat cut are way too thick for my set-up, I need speakers which should be 17cm (6.7") thick.
    If I just buy the kit without the flat cut panels and my own, just a bit flatter, will the result be awful? I don't need the speakers to go below 80Hz, which is the crossover setting in my AV receiver.
    Can I make a flatter but wider speaker, keeping the same volume in a flatter speaker?

Thanks!

Regards,

Marc

2. Marc, you can do that - but with some consequences. It looks to me like the components will physically fit in the box if you shrink the depth, so that's the first hurdle managed, I think. Second, it looks like the midwoofer cone will still have an inch or more of air behind it, which I suspect will be enough. The 6FE100 is only 3.3" deep, but you should probably check with Matt (MTG90, who designed the speaker) about any clearance concerns.

The trouble when you change the baffle is the low frequency response. The size of the baffle limits some wavelengths of sound to forward-only radiation, while allowing longer waves to diffract around the baffle and effectively radiate in all directions. This shift means that the longer waves need to be produced with more power, so that the forward sound pressure level of the longer waves is equal to the sound pressure level of the shorter waves. The adjustments to level to make the forward radiation smooth is known as baffle-step compensation and is baked into the crossover. I don't know Matt's approach to this - potentially he designed the crossover with no compensation, or potentially the change in dimension you require fits into a window that makes the change meaningless. You'll need his input here for sure.

The third issue is that you won't be able to get a baffle from Erich in different dimension - you'll be stuck making your own. How good are you with a router?

Fred

3. Hi,

Thanks for your fast answer. Since my post I've messaged MTG90 about this and I'm still waiting for an answer. :)
    My version of the Fusion 6 and 6 MTM would be wider but shorter, to keep the same volume inside the speaker as the sold flat pack.
    Would that change anything?

I know my way with wood and tools :)

Thanks again