Trying to figure out how to route out the baffle for my SEOS-18...

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by GranteedEV, Aug 13, 2014.

1. How should I go about this? Now I can route out a circle, and I can out out a rectangle, but I'm kind of iffy on routing out a superelipse.

Any data on the SEOS-18 (radius size) that might help me? Or perhaps a foolproof method for making a jig?

2. Do you have the waveguide on hand? I think you would want to wait until you do, if you don't have it already.

Ryan has some pretty good images of the process he went through to make some baffles here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1523167-enough-theory-talk-i-gotta-build-something-celestion-ftr12-3070c.html

Basically, he traced the shape onto some thin plywood or similar and then used a jig saw to cut the hole carefully. Then he used a plunge router and a tracing bit to transfer the shape to the baffle. Obviously, you'll want to be be careful with recess depth and so forth - think it through before you start.

3. I'm late to the party here, sorry. I didn't actually use the jigsaw to cut the shape, and wasn't careful at all. I had an existing CNC cut baffle from Erich that I used to make the template. The jigsaw was only to whack out the majority of the material to save on the router bit. EV doesn't have that luxery in this case, so he'll have to use the pattern technique I think.