miniDSP SEOS-12/DNA-360 & JBL 2206

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by donprice, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Just got my miniDSP in the mail today and my first experiment will be SEOS-12/DNA-360 paired with a JBL 2206. Eventually I'll try to reverse engineer passive crossovers based on the miniDSP results.

Can anyone point me to whatever values I need to plug into the 2-way advanced plug-in for a similar SEOS-12 project? I don't really care what woofer it was for...I'm just looking for a place to start.

Meanwhile I'll work on reading the manual I just printed.

2. You have to care what woofer it was for :-\

Every woofer will have a different frequency response and acoustic set back. I'd start by measuring your setup including the relative acoustic offset.

3. I only meant that I didn't care since it is just for testing to confirm everything works and to get familiar with what it looks like in the plug-in. Measuring the drivers to get it right is step 2 (...and 3...and 4...and so on). I have HolmImpulse, WT3/DATS, and RTA so I think I'm good there unless the plug-in is looking for something else specifically.

Got a link to an example/design/tutorial that someone has worked through?

Thanks!

4. I posted active settings in Bill's TD12 thread. You could plug those in to see if everything works. It might even get you sorta close to good.

A tutorial for XO design? Or how to setup a minidsp? If the latter I'd check out minidsp's forum. But it's pretty simple to setup. Just load the software and start hacking away. You'll figure it out easy enough. It's honestly very straight forward. Have fun!

5. Thanks! I was going to mess with it tomorrow and then I remembered I didn't need to solder anything to test a crossover...so I had it up and running in about 15 minutes. Actually sounded close enough for rock-n-roll considering the signal path (MP3 server or Pandora>tivo HD>basic beringher mixer>minidsp>crown X1000)....and what sounded like a bad RCA cable in the chain. Got to move around some gear and get the computer and a better pre-amp in the mix. And out of the 90F garage.

I'm looking for a tutorial or detailed thread to help get me through measuring the drivers and loading the responses into the DSP plug-in to generate the filters to get a nice flat response. I've experimented quite a bit measuring drivers and working with PCD but never really did get it....and I won't admit the number of hours spent beating on it before figuring out that Zilch measured all the ewave stuff with the adjustable l-pad on the horn and that's why it wasn't entered in PCD. Yeah, that kind of stuff is obvious in hindsight ::)

Thanks again!

6. Hmm, I can't think of a tutorial like that out there. Active isn't very popular. And all the steps are the same as passive except measuring the impedance. PCD has a section to input active settings. And there's some excel spreadsheets call ACD that do it as well, although they're very non user friendly. I just decided they weren't worth it. To bad really. So ya, you're stuck with PCD afaik. If you find any other software that'll do it, let me know :)

Oh and, it's not just making a straight like ;)

7. I found ACD pretty user-friendly. You do have to read the tutorials / setup guide but after that it's great. The only thing I would change, and I'm going to email Charlie about this, is that it would be nice if it gave you reference curves (IE "what should a BW3 high pass look like"), the way PCD does.

8. I've been listening a little in the garage in mono mode over the last week or so. By ear, in pretty bad room (garage), I'm having a real hard time finding a fault. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given that the AE and JBL are pretty damn flat to 2 kHz or more. I've got a couple of non-audio projects to work on so it may be a while before it sees any more attention beyond clearing enough space on the work bench to set up the second one.