Classix II power requirements?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by ragsman, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Hi,
    I just finished a pair of Classix II, and I'm a bit underwhelmed by the output of them. I'm driving them from a Dayton DTA-100 amp right now, and although they sound pretty good I'm having to crank up the amp almost to full volume to get a lot of volume out of them. Full volume does drive them into distortion. This might be a combination of the amp and the mp3/phone player input I'm using, but I expected more sensitivity, honestly, especially after the fantastic results of the overnight sensations I built. I did consider maybe I messed up the crossover construction, but they sound normal, just not as loud as I expected.
    I'm wondering if maybe I need to drive them with something closer to their 100W rated output? Any suggestions or feedback?

Thanks

Mark

2. I'd rule out the amp. It may be clipping and not reaching much output. Try a different amp. I'm not sure that's the problem, but worth a shot. Do the OS work fine on this amp?

3. I haven't tried the OS on this amp, I have these speakers in a different location. I'll try a different amp and source when I get a chance, and see what happens. thanks

4. An update! I'm now powering these from a pretty good audiophile grade amp, a Vincent SV-236 (100W per channel plus). There is no doubt these things like clean power, they sound absolutely fantastic! Huge bass, really nice imaging (although you must be in the 'sweet spot'). These can't handle all of the Vincent, though, without a sub. I'll definitely need to direct the deep bass to a sub if I want to get really loud. For normal listening volumes, however, they really don't need a sub in my opinion. Very happy with these!

5. Glad I kept this tab open - here's the update! Tx for that.