SEOS build project front speakers for dedicated HT room

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by lajo01, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Hi all,
    New to the forum and new to the SEOS technology I've been reading a lot about it for my build plans and I have a couple of questions I hope can be answered by you, the expertise here! :)
    Quick background: I have a dedicated HT room, 3.6 by 5.8 meters. One of the short wall house a 3.3 meter wide AT screen hanging 28 cm out from the wall. All of the space behind the screen is filled with insulation beside the three front speakers.
    Recently I fell in love with the Procella line of HT speakers, some may have heard of them, very dynamic and efficient speakers based on waveguides, compression drivers and bass/midrange in small closed box. Unfortunately very expensive, so I figured, how hard can it be, DIY. So I started reading up on waveguides and came across SEOS, more love, just by reading all of the success stories.
    I was also very inspired by the 88 Special, which I'm temped to buy, alternatively building something similar.

First question is with regards to toe-in. I've been reading that toe-in is recommended for SEOS speakers. And I wonder why? SEOS gives a wide directivity so sound stage should be good without toe-in? Showing my ignorance here.... :) Or is it to limit sound field towards side walls to limit the side reflections?
    Reason for asking is that it's hard for me to angle the front speakers behind my screen with limited space. Also, using an AT screen the tweeter should preferrably as close to the screen as possible to have minimal and linear attenuation on the high frequencys.

2. Toe-in is required for time-intensity trading, which broadens the area in which stereo imaging is stable and convincing, but it not always important when utilizing a center channel. Toe-in also minimizes the first lateral reflection. It's not required, especially in a treated multichannel playback environment.