Working on a pair of Classix 2's

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by MrBoat, Mar 4, 2017.

1. #1 MrBoat, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    These are for my bedroom. Scored another Denon 3805 for $50 off Crgslist. Also have my older, but capable Dell/Linux PC to sorce it with if I choose. Don't know how I'll finish them until I hear them. Maybe some walnut this time. Still undecided about the shape/arrangement of the baffles either. I could have finished these to listening status by now but was combatting a bit of flash burn from work last weekend so it made me slow to start.

I did the crossovers during the week at my leisure. They worked when hooked up just twisted together. Haven't tried them since installing and soldering to the boards, but my soldering skills are pretty good.
    [​IMG]

I did dado the back panel and the corners where applicable, sized to the cabinets print included with the plans. Which if IIRC, are slightly different than the PE offerings. This is a quick and dirty router table but it's good and flat. I cut all the panels with the circular saw/straightedge method. I enjoy working outdoors, anyway. I have used this method most of my life so have become pretty proficient at it. I made the dados slightly deeper than the thickness of the MDF because I would rather flush sand the thinner proud edges than the flat surfaces.
    [​IMG]

Cases assembled Day 1
    [​IMG]

2. #2 MrBoat, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    2nd day, made the braces from plywood being they are so thin. It should help keep the sides flatter over the years. I will seal the insides with thinned boat epoxy, along with any surfaces that may get paint.

[​IMG]

I tacked the baffles onto the cabinets with wire brads, sanded everything to finish dimensions, just to hold them for the routing process, so that the holes come out centered on the pre-fit.
    [​IMG]

Routed the holes for the (rear port version) ports, and where the binding posts will go. Not crazy about the plastic terminal cups that came with the kit. The post backers are some 9mm marine plywood scraps. that are too small for anything else.
    [​IMG]

The drivers fit a coat of paint or 2 away from perfect. That's always a relief. I left just the gaskets proud of the surface for different grill options, in the event what I use relies on those.
    [​IMG]

I am still somewhat spoiled from using the Tempest flat packs from DIYSG. At the same time, I am relieved to have this chunk of MDF out of my somewhat small, hobby sized workshop. Also haven't rounded over any baffle edges for not being sure exactly how I will treat the edges or that arrangement yet until after I listen to them.

3. I have been listening to these speakers for about a week. Finally took them down to do some finishing work. They are pleasant to listen to. A good after work speaker. I kept meaning to unhook them in exchange for the Tempests, but they end up growing on you and end up just leaving them playing.

Decided on walnut veneer this time around. Wet sanded with thinned varnish to help fill the grain. Will just use the same for a wipe on finish. Probably about 7-8 coats with some steel wool in between if needed.

[​IMG]

4. Finally finished. They sound great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently eyeing the Fusion-8 Alchemy as a possible next build. If they're anything like the Fusion-12 Tempests, albeit scaled down in size and presence, I would not mind having a pair of those. Well that, and as an excuse to build another subwoofer. Something just looks right about the Alchemy, proportionately.

Still, it's going to be difficult to top the Tempests and it's difficult to go backwards from there. I've probably logged over 5-600 hours on those by now.