Asymmetric horn shapes

Discussion in 'Waveguides and Horns' started by Nihil, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Hello,

I am in the process of building a new home theater, and am exploring the option of using Synergy style horns to control the directivity of the LCR speakers in order to limit reflections off the side walls. The interesting thing about this particular room, is that I'm also building the speakers into the front wall (which has attic space behind it, so I can make any size speaker I want). In addition, there is a pool table in between the front wall and seating (just to make it more difficult). Sooo...I'm thinking of making DIY Synergies that have asymmetrical radiation patterns so I can direct the sound at the listening position, while will maintaining a flush-to-the-wall box. I can think of two ways to do this: 1) standard symmetrical horn shape, but with one side longer that the other to aim the entire speaker at the listening position while maintaining the flush face to the wall; or 2) entire cabinet is square to the wall, but the angles of the horn flare are adjusted to create the desired directivity (this is what's illustrated in the drawing below).

Drawing of room with suggested dispersion angles:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5mMyjrv8cfid2gtc2ZKME81SC1JYjd6Qm4zcDd2WWFFT3k0/view?usp=sharing

Curious if anyone has tried this before, with any type of horn?

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nihil[/font]

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]P.S. If any of you harken back to the days of the BassList, I was a frequent contributor back in the day (~1998 - 2003ish), and am SpeakerScott's former business partner. Been out of the DIY scene for a while, and am excited to jump back in.[/font]

2. Instead of creating a horn with odd dispersion characteristics, what's wrong with an angled baffle wall?

Instead of Synergy horns,there's also the option of the SEOS 24 for maintaining directivity down to 450hz...and passive resistive cardioid enclosures above/below the horn or side by side woofer for additional directivity control down to 150hz or below.

Would your user name happen to be from the best KMFDM album ever released?

3. I would believe asymmetric would be more acceptable vertically than horizontally.

4. JBL 2346-1 horn in Everest D55000 (home, horizontally) seems the same as in 4660 (PA).

5. And subsequently retired because it was a bad idea. Probably is the path length from throat to mouth is so different in these cases and provides uneven loading. Better off just angling the waveguide inwards that truncate part of it to fit a flat baffle aesthetic.

6. I don't know that they were such a bad idea...The systems cost a lot. I think the horn was initially used in a vertical orientation, to keep the signal from bouncing off the floor or ceiling (can't remember which, it's been awhile since I studied them). IIRC, they used 1 inch drivers.

Bruce