DIY Speaker Stands

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by MrBoat, Apr 8, 2017.

1. I built the Fusion-12 Tempests and the only place I have for them is atop end tables in the corners of my room. The reason I opted to leave them on the tables is because I can still clean under the tables easier without moving the speakers. The problem being, I needed to get the Tempests up over the ends of the sofas and at a more ideal listening height.

Started with some aluminum scraps out of the bin at work.
    [​IMG]

Tacked together the side frames.
    [​IMG]

And squared/welded those together first.
    [​IMG]

2. Then supported the cross stretchers flush with my aluminum level and some clamps. The little notches at the intersection is so the welds will be flush so that the speakers contact the stretchers without the welds holding them up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Then it was just a matter of sanding (I sanded most of the material before I welded it together) and using an aluminum etch primer, then a couple coats of the same Rustoleum matte black I used on the speakers.

Here they are painted with the plastic caps installed.
    [​IMG]

Then I bought some soft rubber chair/crutch tips for the bottoms.
    [​IMG]

4. Final product and rid of the ghetto cardboard boxes they were sitting on prior.

[​IMG]

5. They look awesome. Working with metal sounds just as fun as wood.

MrBoat likes this.
  6. It certainly opens up more options, along with the grilles on the speakers, for having searched everywhere for something I liked to no avail. I had built custom speaker stands for a customer years ago for his bookshelf speakers and never gave it another thought until now. Metal is definitely fun. Planning on trying my hand at amp building so I should be able to make a passable looking box for that.