HTM Speaker Kits

Discussion in 'Home Theater Speaker Kit Information' started by Matt Grant, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Excellent. I’ll give it a go!

2. So I'm not a wizard at Winisd, but here's a first attempt to coax a little more bass from the Celestion. I set the tuning frequency at 65 vs 70. Response dips slightly until 85hz (compared to stock HT8) but rises thereafter for a bass extension improvement of 7-8 hz. I also added a third model using a 60hx tuning and slightly larger volume. More dip, but over 10 hz extension (assuming I'm understanding all of this!)

Vent length is about 2.75 inches. The only direction I can go with box expansion is UP since the HT8's will be in columns.

Not sure it's worth the trouble - will I hear a difference?
    upload_2021-3-9_21-45-32.png
    upload_2021-3-9_21-48-10.png

3. I wouldn't recommend changing the original design.

4. When is the HT line speakers are expected to be back in stock? Also, is shipping to Australia available?

5. I apologize for the dumb question, but has anyone used a recessed speaker cup terminal instead of binding posts on the HT-8 or other model home theater speakers? Or would cutting a 2-inch hole and mounting a speaker cup mess up the acoustics too much? Thanks.

6. Totally fine to use terminal cups, I use them on pretty much all of my builds.

7. I’m in the process of building custom boxes for my recently received HT-8 kits. They will be used as surrounds and flush-mounted in wall columns.
    upload_2021-3-21_11-9-46.png

A couple of questions:

Will a 1 inch Walmart foam mattress topper be sufficient as a liner? Does it need to be glue in or fastened in some way? The preferred denim is not available in small quantities.

The ports are a tad loose in the holes I cut out. I’m thinking of cementing them in with PL-3. Is there a better option?

Lastly, since the baffle will be flush with the column fronts, should I keep the baffle edges square, or should I put a roundover on them? There will be a gap between the column front panel and speaker edges of less than 1/8 inch.

Attached Files:

8. The 1" Walmart mattress topper should be ok, I would just make sure you line the back, sides, top and bottom.

When I have cut the holes for those press in port tubes slightly too large I'll tape the ribbed section with a few wraps of masking tape until the ports fit snug. But you can certainly glue them in if you wanted.

No roundover needed if mounting like that.

9. I've found that rope caulk is a good way to get port tubes to stay in place.

Clark Hathaway likes this.
  10. #335 Clark Hathaway, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Matt, here's a look at my ht-8 bracing. At the moment, the woofer section at 11.5 X 9.5 inches does not have any bracing. the mdf is 1/2":

upload_2021-3-25_9-12-51.png

Should I add bracing to that section, or do you think it's ok as is - here's what I had in mind:

upload_2021-3-25_9-18-7.png

Thanks!

11. It could benefit a little from a brace placed there.

12. Thanks Matt!