New to the forum and need help

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by Kefref, Jan 5, 2016.

1. I came across this forum thru another forum(Heli Freak), an RC Helicopter forum believe it or not. In a off topic page a person is building 3 1099s R/L/C which sparked my interest. I currently and probbably never upgrade my Home theater/Stereo Electronics which include a Bryston 4B SST 300w 2ch Amp for L/R, a 5ch Adcom GTP 860 2 Preamp which handles C,R/L rears and R/L surrounds. And those 5 speakers are powered by an Adcom 5ch GFA 7700 Amp @ 175w per ch.Now for Speakers I have some old Kef Reference 105.2s for R/L and 5 Kef Reference 103.2s for C/R/L rears andR/L surrounds. I would like to upgrade my Speakers now to the Maximus 12LXEs for R/Ls and Would like to know if I could use the Volt 8s for C, R/L rears andR/L surrounds. My listining room is 24'x24'x22' high It's a Chalete house. I'm older now and have built speakers before when I was much younger. I would appreciate any help. Thank You.

2. Yes, the Volt coaxials work very well as surround sound speakers. That was the main reason they were originally designed. They have a wide dispersion which makes them great for surround use.

3. ok so should i go with the volt 6,8 or 10? the price is very similar just don't know the difference

4. Mr. Mubashar, are your setup needs for the Volts the same as Mr. Kefref in the first post?

If not, could you tell us in what way you would use the Volts?

5. I don't know how his setup is since I've never seen it. But for me The volts will be used for the surround left and right. It'll be 5 feet away from each ear. So it'll be the direction where my left and right ear will be on my left and right side but directly behind me

6. OK, that helps. I am not an authority on the Volts so it would be better if Erich would weigh in and give you some more specific advice.

In general I like small speakers for small rooms, medium sized for medium rooms, and large speakers for large rooms. If you have large speakers in front for L/C/R and a big room I might go for the larger Volts.

I have the Fusion 10 speakers and they are LARGE. There are bigger ones out there, but they are large enough and loud enough for all but the largest living room areas.

7. Thanks good to know sir. I have another question. I ended up purchasing 3 fusion speakers for the front L/R/C and 2 volt 8s for the surround L/R. I already have a Polk audio 12 inch Sub which handles low frequencies well. I'm just wondering on two things. Would I need an amplifier for this setup and secondly I currently own a Sony 7.2 receiver which is capable of 1200 watts. Is that enough to handle these speakers or should I upgrade and if so which reciever do you recommend?

8. Muhammad, you didn't say which Fusion speakers you got, but It sounds like you got Fusion 8 or bigger. Fusion 8 as L/C/R and Volt 8 surrounds will give you plenty of volume that can completely blast you out of the room unless your room is a school gym.

Your Sony 7.2 AVR sounds like it has plenty of power. I run my Fusion 10's with an Onkyo 717 in 5.1. It is rated at 110 wpc and it plays very loud and I have never used all of its capacity. I let Audyssey do the setup on my different speakers and it works great.

I would suggest you do your build, let the Sony do the work and if you don't mind, get back to us with how it sounds.

9. gotcha thanks for some great information, i placed the order 2 days ago so just waiting. i will def post the final result pictures and as well as my review of the sound. thanks

10. i was wondering what audyssey is and is it free? thanks

11. Audyssey MultEQ is a simple way to automatically equalize and calibrate your home theater system to overcome speaker placement and acoustical problems in your room. It's built into many AVR's and there are different versions of it from basic to professional level.

http://audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/how-to

Other manufacturers don't want to pay the licensing fee for the technology and have their own versions. Yamaha has YPOA and Pioneer has MCACC Room EQ.

My Onkyo TX NR-717 has a mid-level Audyssey version built-in. It comes with a microphone for setting the speaker calibrations. I have different speakers for L/R, Center, and surrounds.

Audyssey sends a white noise signal to each speaker then determines automatically how loud each should be set relative to Reference Level. That way my Fusion 10's (very efficient) are balanced with my Bose 301 surrounds (inefficient) so one set of speakers does not overpower the others, and the sound arrives at the listening position at exactly the same time.

Some people do not like Audyssey because they say it it too "flat" or they think their ears can do a better job at matching speaker levels. I love it.