Old school design with modern drivers.

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by Mark Odom, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Being an old fart, I have a love for classic 2 way boring box speakers. I'm not necessarily looking to build a copy of the Large Advent, or the other early seventies classics, but more like the late seventies, early eighties 2 way speakers that were able to do most things pretty well. Examples to me are speakers like a/d/s, Genesis, KEF 2 ways, and other British designs.

I've looked at a lot of nice modern designs, quite a few that I've listened to, and the issues I run into are small driver ported designs. Honestly, there are a bunch of great designs, but I'd like to see a build that uses a little bit larger woofer in a sealed box that allows good bass response with a more gradual roll off.

The tweeter shouldn't be a problem. There are many reasonable dome tweeters that have can be crossed over in that sweet spot between 1500 to 3000 hz. That leaves me with the woofer and crossover. Finding that woofer that can play low enough in a sealed box, play sweet though the midrange and cross over smoothly to the tweeter. Does anyone have designs that fit my needs? Woodworking isn't a problem,

2. Hi Mark - as you may have guessed, this is not a very active forum. I think you'd have much better luck posting at diyaudio or the parts express forums. My personal preference for a 2-way is to use a full range driver as a mid-tweet and crossover around 300 hz as that puts the crossover out of the telephone band but I know that's not you are looking for. Good luck.