Project NEXUS... A timbre matched family of Hi-Fi/HT speakers

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by Matt Grant, Feb 10, 2014.

1. I have some questions regarding the differences between a center speaker built as WTMW and possibly WTMMW as pictured in post #59 on page 3 of this thread. In post #60 it is stated:

So, I have a few questions about this.

First, could the circuits from the WTMW center and the MTMWW right/left crossovers be mixed for a WTMMW center? As in, could the LF (and possibly HF) from the WTMW and/or the MF & HF from the MTMWW be used to at least overcome the suspected lump in the woofer response, or would this just cause other problems?

Would the benefits of a second midrange speaker be worth the drawbacks of the different positions of the MF/HF speakers, with or without mixing the crossover circuits?

Lastly, can the box be built with greater length and shallower depth? Due to space considerations, I would like to keep the speakers tightly spaced in the center of the box, without changing the inner M/T box size, while extending the length of the front baffle, cutting down the depth of the box, and possibly using some angles on right and left ends of the back of the box. Assuming the internal volumes don't change much would there be any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

Thank you very much for your time, not only with these questions but also with the designs themselves. I am just starting my journey into this hobbly and your efforts are greatly appreciated.

2. If you are using any kind of modern AVR with room correction or even basic EQ I'd suggest building the WMTMW center if you are set on that design and using the crossover from the tower MTMWW. I don't think it's worth trying to combine sections from the WTMW center crossover. If you build it and have a mic to take response measurements I can give input on what parts to change if the frequency response is not already usable.

There may be slight changes in the response from the individual drivers from changing the enclosure design and driver layout in the baffle but things shouldn't be terrible. Obviously I don't know the exact extent of the changes they could be minimal or change the response quite a bit. The second midrange does reduce distortion and compression as each driver only requires 1/4 the power of a single midrange.

The enclosure could certainly be built wider and shallower if needed, minimal impact to the response and only that of the woofers.

3. Thank you very much for your response. I do have a mic but I am only just learning how to use it, starting with a whole lot of room sweeps and fiddling around with REW and subwoofer settings. I will be moving on to building this center channel once I finish the current subwoofer project. I would like to believe that will be soon but, in the real world, I have limited time for these projects and they always take longer than I think they should. In the meantime, I will probably be reading as much as I can about crossovers, XSim, and whatever sidetracks come along.

I'll post back here when I am making progress.

Thanks again, for the project and the input. I really appreciate it.

4. I apologize if this has been asked, but how would these compare to the 1099s?

My use is 50/50 music which I usually have both cranked up pretty high (reference).