Question about EQ'ing 1099

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by dasa2131, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Hello everyone,

My name is Dave Andrews, and I'm new to this forum. I'm in the process of building a pair of the 18" Dayton HO subwoofers (with 4 ft^3 Denovo enclosures). I'm really enjoying the build so far, and am now interested in attempting to build a pair of 1099 kits. Obviously, I'm a noob with regard to this stuff.
    Here's what I've currently got:
    • two 18" Dayton subs, both powered by a single Behringer iNuke6000DSP
    • A ~20 year old stereo Denon receiver (it has a set of pre-outs that I use for the subwoofer)
    • A simple pair of bookshelf Polk Audio speakers. I want to replace these with the 1099's
    I'd like some help with a few questions on the 1099 speakers:
    [list type=decimal]
    [*]In the '1099 Consolidated Information' discussion, it seemed to indicate that these speakers should not be run full range. I think it indicated to operate these speakers from ~80Hz to 20khz. Is this correct? If so, how do I limit the low frequency operation of these speakers to only 80Hz? Am I correct in assuming I'll to run the pre-outs from my Denon to some kind of equalizer and then feed that into an amplifier for the 1099's?
    [*]Would it be a foolish idea to consider running the 1099's with a tube amp? I'd like to try building a tube amp kit, and I've heard they work well with efficient speakers. I only use this system for music - no movies yet.
    [/list]

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thank you,

Dave

2. Your denon avr should high pass the 1099s at 80hz if you set them to small. No special eq necessary.