Subwoofer kit opinon

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by Chris Collalto, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Sorry guys, i'm sure you get this all the time. I've decided to build a kit sub, and i've narrowed my choices to the Ultimax 15 in 3 cubes sealed, or the Dayton reference 15 in the Ported 15 cube, which lists the tuning frequency of 21hz..
    When i model both in Winisd, the UM comes in about 30hz, and the Reference at 25. So, close to the advertised 21hz of the enclosure tuning. I want thunder! lol I will use it for 80% HT and 20% music. Any opinions or first hand experience? Also, i will be using a 500 plate amp. Thanks!

2. I just built a Parts Express 15" Dayton RS390HO kit in a sealed 3 cube box with a Dayton 500 Watt plate amp. My room is about 18 X 28, open to hallways and a kitchen, 10' ceilings. It is paired with a sealed Rythmik (sp?) 12" er. My impression is that the Dayton could do the job by itself. I have gain set to about 40%, and it sounds really good crossed at 80Hz. I have not used the Ultimax, but the HO is really good. And it requires a smaller box.

3. Out of curiosity why the HO versus the HF? The HF modeled better sealed than the HO iirc. I'm obsessing over ths way too much. I can show you what i did if you want.