TriTrix Transmission or Karma Build

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by maltux, Oct 19, 2013.

1. I am finishing my Overnight Sensations and was considering a new project. Possibly the Karma or the Transmission kit from PE. Has anyone built both and what did they prefer?

Thanks for your input.

2. Well I am building the TriTrix speakers now. Maybe the Karma's next time!

3. Hi Maltux, glad you're enjoying your OS's. I have the OS MTM's and they are pretty nice, considering there size. Maybe after the Tritrix's you might want to try Paul C's Cores. With the RS180/RS28A, they are very nice speakers. I'm listening to "The Band Perry" right this very minute on them. The Dayton RS28A is an awfully nice tweeter!
    The reason you didn't get much response on your question is perhaps the forum. I find that the DIY Soundgroup folks are really into high efficiency/horn loaded speaker designs. If you are pursuing the more "standard" medium/low efficiency type designs you'll get more feedback on PE's Tech Talk forums. I like to hang out in both places as I can't make up my mind either way. I just love building speakers! I'm eying Jeff Bagby's Tempests right now too.
    good luck!
    nikkoluvr

4. "considering their size". Criminy, the spelling can get atrocious at 3:05AM! ;)

5. Thanks for the heads up about the thread. I did not notice your spelling error until you pointed it out. I have a week left of freedom before I take a Controllership role in a local company here in Buffalo. I loved building speakers when I was younger and I wanted to give it another go. I was really impressed with Erich's packaging compared to PE. I have never been a fan of horn loaded speakers as I always found them very tiring (too bright) after a while. I have always been a fan of two-way designs. The only pair of three-way's I own and enjoy are my Phase Techs 10.5 built in 1991. They are huge, accurate and loud. Maybe for Christmas Santa will have a new speaker kit under the tree.

6. yes, it seems there are many folks who share your aversion to horn loaded speakers. I tend to like my speakers a little brighter than most so I seem to like them fine. I've got a set of Forte 2's in the living room, and for years I used a pair of the small Klipsch KSB 3.1's which I think are pretty nice too.

Right now I'm building a set of PI 4's and after reading a review on Jeff Bagby's Tempests, I must have a pair of them as well. Then I can do a shootout and get rid of the others. My guess is that the Tempests will stay if the reviews are all true. I also have a pair of Lou C's LECBO's, Paul Carmody's OS MTM's and Cores. These are all great speakers.

I'm not familiar with the Phase Techs so I'll have to check them out. I probably have 4 or 5 other builds in process right now, and way more than that on my short list. I have to warn you that this is not a hobby, it's an addiction!! There are so many cool designs out there and so many great drivers to try.
    Last Saturday I had the pleasure of attending Iowa DIY 2013 (talk about throwing gasoline on a fire!) , and I would have to say that if you are anywhere close, it's worth the trip. I may have to try one of the "out east" DIY events too next year.

happy speaker building,
    nikkoluvr