Volt 6's as floor-standing mains w/ a Volt 8 center

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by Gary Truex, Mar 2, 2017.

1. #1 Gary Truex, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Hi.
    I picked the Volt 6's based on their size. I have some older Definitive Technology towers(BP7004) that had been sitting around for years as I outgrew the sound of the mids/tweeters. I noticed the the standard ported V 6 boxes diamensions were very close to the towers so I cut the top module containing the mids/tweets off and grafted the Volt 6's on. I had to add a piece of 5/8" plywood to one end to make them match almost perfectly.

SAM_1141.JPG
    Now, the wide side faces the listener instead of the narrow end.
    I covered the speaker with a new grill cloth(sock) and capped the top w/ the original top cap.
    Since I am a terrible wood worker, it was nice to only have to rough finish and primer the box;
    SAM_1143.JPG

2. #2 Gary Truex, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    I first tried the Volts w/ the port blocked, but they sounded much better(fuller) w/ the ports open.
    The powered 10 inch woofer and 2 passive resonators have a low pass @ 80 Hz. and run off the speaker level wires. That means the Volts have no high pass and I was worried that playing them full range might be too much for them, but I needed not to have worried as they do just fine powered by my 50 W RMS Marantz receiver.
    Knowing nothing about co-axials, I now understand that radical cone movement is controlled by the stiff surrounds and it's nice not to see the cone bouncing around like crazy.
    There is a slight null around 80 Hz, but it is not really audible. I did have to set the gain on the powered woofers to max to match the efficient Volts and the end result is they blend well.
    I was using three of Curt Campbell's Aviatrix sealed MTM's across the front which use the very nice Dayton RS28F tweeters and I think I am giving up a little "sweetness and air" on the top end, but the Volts deliver awesome mid-bass punch the Aviatrixs w/ their dual 5.25" woofers couldn't come close to matching.
    The Volt 8 I covered with an old grill sock I had and capped the ends w/ bamboo cutting boards to match the look of the mains.
    SAM_1144.JPG
    Overall, I'm very happy w/ the results and would say to anyone w/ size restraints to go with the 6's as mains, as they play plenty loud. Just don't expect much below 80 Hz as they roll off quickly below that value.

sugarbear likes this.
  3. I like your "just do it" approach! It's cool to see, and unfortunately, rare. Now, I'm curious about your listening impressions.Keep us informed..