Suggestions for small HT set-up

Discussion in 'DIY Speakers and Subwoofers' started by DreamInAnalog, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Hello: I'm new to this forum, but not to building speakers. I'm looking for advice on particular models this group sells. My project is a new, small HT set up off to the side of our current large living room. The room is tapered, from a screen of 100"-103" diagonal size. The room gets wider as you get further away. Seating distance will be about 9'-10' from screen, Ceiling averages 9' in height. Right now there is a partial wall about 4'-5' behind the couch, which I'm going to try to remove by putting in a header.

The part that impacts my choice of speakers is the screen wall. It can just barely accommodate a 100"-103" diagonal screen. If speakers are stand-mounted or floor standing, they have to be very close to the wall, like no more than 6-8" away. I thought about flush mounting them, but then they have to fit along the confines of the screen. Width wise that equates to 91"-92"

My first thought was the Fusion 8 Alchemy model, possibly with the 88 Special as a center. I then noticed the HT-10 model. I read comments on your site that it is thought to be a bit more refined. This will be used about 50% for music, 50% for HT.

I have a processor that can handle more speakers than what I can install in this room. I will most likely go with the Volt in the ceiling, or maybe one of the angled smaller speakers.

One last thing that worries me: I can accommodate building right and left side units into the wall, but they would be toed in about 30 degrees if I do that. I'm not referring to the front LCR, but the first set a few feet down the wall. This system is for my wife and I, and our dog. I'm not worried about parties, or additional rows of seating. By the way, the backside of the wall the screen gets mounted to is a walk in pantry, so I can mount stuff like speakers, or subs under the screen, and have up to 2' depth. I had considered something like L, Sub, C, Sub, R; but would all have to fit in 92" width.

I just don't know about the layout, and how your speakers sound. My budget is $3500 for speakers. I have all the rest of the stuff, except the screen itself.

Thank you in advance for suggestions!